Chiropractic neurology incorporates similar training to medical neurology but differs in application, treatments, and therapies. Chiropractic neurologists do not use drugs or surgery.
The body uses three pathways to carry out any action:
- information carried from the body/environment to the brain via the spine,
- brain processes this information
- brain sends information back to the body about how to respond to the information it received.
If any one of these pathways is disturbed, a number of problems result since the brain and nervous system are the master control system of the body. An example of how this works in real time: we are driving in our car and we see a red light (path 1), we process this information and decide what action needs to be taken (path 2), our brain will then tell our foot to move off the gas and on to the brake (path 3). A dysfunction in any one of these pathways would result in an accident, just as in our body: a reduction of information in any of these paths could cause symptoms in any of our body systems (heart, lungs, immune system, musculoskeletal, digestive, reproductive, or urinary).
As a chiropractic neurologist, my aim is to ensure that all of these pathways are viable and optimized. The result is a treatment that is specific for your body and your brain. Most importantly, this care is natural and non-invasive. Because of this holistic approach, many chiropractic neurology patients have a myriad of symptoms that can involve many systems including limbic (emotional), sensory, motor, and cognitive. Because all of these systems feed into, and off of, one another, the end result is a well integrated body and a well integrated brain.
Most people associate traditional chiropractic with back and neck pain only. However, corrective, neurological care is beneficial for many individuals with symptoms ranging from post-stroke difficulties to vertigo, headaches, muscle imbalance, learning disorders, and pain syndromes. Many of our patients have been suffering from disorders of the central nervous system and have not responded to traditional medical care or prefer alternatives to invasive or pharmaceutical intervention.
Common Conditions in our Office
- Foot drop
- Head injury and stroke
- Vertigo, tinnitus, and balance problems
- Movement disorders
- Headaches and chronic pain
- Developmental disorders
- Visual disturbances and eye fatigue
- Memory and concentration difficulty
- Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD)
- Post-Stroke Rehabilitation
- ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, stuttering, and learning disorders
- Peripheral nerve injuries, neuropathies, radiculopathies (most commonly numbness and tingling of the arm/hand/leg/or foot)
- other neurological disorders
Methods We Use to Improve Brain Balance:
Chiropractic neurology treatment methods are safe, effective and can include a wide variety of tools such as:
- Chiropractic adjustments of the spine and extremities
- Eye exercises
- Balance and coordination activities
- Cognitive exercises and activities
- Sensory training that may include light, sound, smell, or touch
- Physical exercises
- Breathing exercises
- Nutritional modification
- Posture restoration